1 oct 2009

The Accompanist

1) Read the beginning up to “…I followed”.
Who do you thing the “He” mentioned here is?
What does the narrator complain about?
2) Read from “For fifteen years now…” up to “ No marriage was closer”.
Narrate how the narrator first met Ustad Rahim Khan.
Describe what kind of relationship developed between them. Illustrate this relationship with quotations.
3) Read from “ When I was a boy….” Up to “ ..after the late show, not now”
What kind of childhood did he have? Which were his interests?
What do we learn about his father and mother? Support this with quotations from the story.
4) Read “But all fell away from me…” up to “ …will convey this to him”
Explore the narrator´s feelings towards his relationship
with Ustad Rahim Khan
Support your views by close reference to Desai’s writing
5) Read from ‘Only once was I shaken.’ Up to ‘I talked to myself.’
How does Desai vividly convey how dreadful this
moment is in the life of the accompanist?
6) Finish reading the story.
Comment on the following quotation “ .. But he did not take anyone else, he chose me. He gave me my destiny, my life. Could I have refused it? Does a mortal refuse God?”

What is your personal response to the decisions in life made by Bhaiyya,” the tanpura player”? Consider everything you have analysed so far.